- Don't wait until the last minute to pack! Each box will take an average of thirty minutes to pack. An individual can pack an average apartment in 15-20 hours, a house, in 30-40 hours. 2 of our Guys can pack the average apartment in 3-5 hours, a house in one day.
- Have packing tape and a magic marker available to seal and label each box. Write clearly on the box whether it is fragile, what is in it and what room it will go in at the destination. Don't write "FRAGILE" on every box! The movers will take care of your boxes and need to know which boxes really do need to be on top.
- Begin packing the least-used areas of your home first and leave the essentials until the end. Many people will pack their suitcases full with the items they know they will need immediately after the move and will move them in their own vehicles.
- Tape all cartons carefully on both top and bottom. Double tape boxes that will carry heavy items, like books or electronics.
- Use smaller boxes to pack books - 14x14x14 is a good standard book box size.
- Always pack heavy items on the bottom, lighter items on the top.
- Do not put heavy items in with breakables, and make sure there is an inch of paper cushioning between layers of breakables. Towels or linens make good cushion for breakables, too.
- Slightly over pack each carton before sealing it for added strength, but do not pack boxes so full that they can't be closed. Open boxes are more difficult and less safe to move, and can double or triple the time of your move. Most moving companies, including Get A Move On, will refuse to move open boxes.
- Pack all valuable items together and check on their arrival at the destination or move them in your own vehicle for safety.
- Try to use up as much of your food supply as possible before the day of the move to eliminate extra packing. Do not move any liquids that have been opened, only containers that are factory sealed.
- You may leave clothing in dressers, but remove all breakables, loose items, valuables, weapons or ammunition from drawers.
- Disconnect all electronic equipment and wiring prior to moving day, and pack components in their original boxes if possible.
- Pack all loose items in an appropriate box! Although your movers will be cooperative enough to move whatever you have, they will not vouch for the safety of loose pictures, lampshades, mirrors or small electronic equipment. Any pictures or glass not properly packed are not insured. Picture & mirror packs are available for sale with prior notification.
- Please disassemble all particleboard and pressed wood pieces prior to moving, if you would like them to survive the move. These pieces are not sturdy and are prone to cracking from even the smallest vibrations or movements. If particleboard or pressed wood furniture are assembled when the movers arrive, they will move it as it is. Assembled particleboard or pressed wood pieces are not insured.
- The gas company must service all gas appliances prior to moving.
- Movers are not equipped to disconnect and re-connect your washers and dryers; please have them emptied and ready to move.
- Freezers and refrigerators must be emptied before moving. Defrost them and dry thoroughly before moving. Automatic ice makers may require servicing beforehand.
- For microwaves, you only have to remove the glass tray inside and pack separately.
- For more appliance moving tips, see "Moving Appliances".
On Moving Day:
- Complete all packing prior to your move.
- Reserve all elevators, loading docks or parking areas for the estimated time of your move.
- Be on hand to answer questions and direct the placement of furniture items. A floor plan taped to the door indicating where boxes and pieces should be placed will greatly facilitate the unloading. To save time and money, put all your boxes in one ground floor room or in the garage in 4-foot stacks with the heaviest boxes on the bottom, and have the movers do the same at the new house. This will decrease the cost of your move and make unpacking them less of a mess.
- Payment is expected at the completion of the job. Your movers will prepare a sales ticket for you and will accept cash, checks, American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa for payment.